- 4/16 – Jukebox the Ghost @ Deluxe at ONC
- 4/25 – The Devil Makes Three + Jonny Fritz @ Deluxe at ONC
- 4/26 – Ivan & Alyosha + Twin Forks + Young Heirlooms at Radio Radio
- 4/27 – William Tyler + Christian Taylor @ Do317 Lounge
- 4/29 – Flaming Lips @ WRSP The Lawn
- 5/1 – J Roddy Walston & The Business + PUJOL @ Radio Radio
- 5/3 – First Friday Food Truck Festival ft. Hero Jr. + DJ OhBeOne @ ONC
- 5/3 – Face Jug First Friday ft. Whiskey Bent Valley Boys + Woodstove Flapjacks
- 5/4 – Ra Ra Riot + The Lighthouse And The Whaler @ ONC
- 5/17 – Foals + Surfer Blood @ Deluxe at ONC
- 5/30 – Of Monsters & Men @ WRSP The Lawn
From the hallowed stomping grounds of Highland Park, New Jersey, comes The Grip Weeds, a psychedelic, power-pop quartet more prone to muscle-cars than VW vans. Starting with their clever homage to John Lennon (as Musketeer Gripweed in How I Won The War) and ending with their 60’s British Nuggets sound swirled with an angsty, Athens GA, 80’s college-radio vibe, brothers Kurt and Rick Reil, Kristin Pinell and Dave DeSantis use their vintage equipment and raw, retro styling’s to full, blazing effect on their first live album Speed Of Live via Ground Up Records. In addition, The Grip Weeds are simultaneously releasing Live Vibes, a DVD that captures a live-in-studio performance and exclusive band interviews. It’s the band’s way of getting a “live show” out there to all the fans and places they either haven’t played yet or can’t play often enough, due to the impracticalities and expenses of constant touring. Consider it a doubly generous one-two punch for both the ears and the eyes! Grip Weeds’ enthusiast Little Steven Van Zandt would agree, as he’s already dubbed a few of the songs on Speed Of Live as “Coolest Song in the World” on his radio program Little Steven’s Underground Garage, as well as it was he who hand-picked an album’s worth of their tunes for 2008’s Infinite Soul: The Best of The Grip Weeds. With an endorsement of that caliber, need I say more?
Speed Of Live and the Live Vibes DVD drop June 19th, 2012. You can also catch The Grip Weeds celebrating the release with a live performance at NYC’s Bowery Electric on Friday, June 29th 2012.
-Post by Miss Dolly Mod